INTRODUCING ADVANCE PURCHASE PRICING & OTHER PRODUCT CHANGES FROM 02 JANUARY 2020
11 Dec 2019
PASSENGERS who purchase from TravelMaster’s range of multi-operator and multi-modal tickets in South Yorkshire will see the prices for many tickets frozen if they buy them before they travel with changes being made on the 2nd January 2020.
These changes will see prices for tickets bought off-vehicle frozen or subject to only a small increase in price (excluding all rail valid tickets which will change in line with national rail fares). However, all 7-Day tickets purchased on board will be subject to a larger increase in price as will some 1-Day ticket prices.
TravelMaster, the commercial organisation responsible for multi-operator ticketing in South Yorkshire, is making these changes to encourage the purchase of tickets by passengers before they travel by having them cost less than those bought on board. TravelMaster hopes that this will support increased punctuality through reducing delays caused by the sale of tickets on board.
For example, from 2nd January:
- passengers purchasing a CityBus 7-Day (valid on all buses in Sheffield) on board will pay £17.50 but those buying off-vehicle will pay £16.30; the same as they currently do.
- passengers purchasing a SYConnect 7-Day (valid on all buses & trams in South Yorkshire) on board will pay £26.00 but those buying off-vehicle will pay £23.50; the same as they currently do.
- passengers purchasing a CityWide 7-Day (valid on all buses & trams in Sheffield) on board will pay £18.50 but those buying off-vehicle will pay £17.50; a 20p increase compared to the current price.
To support this, TravelMaster has invested heavily in developing and promoting off-vehicle points of sale to ensure all passengers can still conveniently purchase their ticket for the lower price before they travel.
Passengers will pay lower prices for:
- tickets purchased at sytravelmaster.com and loaded to a smartcard through Apple or Android devices or picked up on First & Stagecoach services.
- tickets purchased from over 900 Payzone shops and Post-Office* branches in South Yorkshire.
- tickets purchased through the First Bus App or the Stagecoach Bus App.
- tickets purchased through Travel South Yorkshire Ticket Machines located at Interchanges throughout South Yorkshire.
The prices for all tickets valid on rail services will increase in line with the National Rail fare changes coming into effect on 2nd January 2020 and there will be no difference in the prices for these when bought in advance.
Matt Smallwood, Director & General Manager of TravelMaster said: “Passengers travelling at peak times routinely tell us of the delays caused by people buying tickets on board. This contributes to reduce reliability alongside the bigger issue of increasing road congestion; the latter needs resolving but until then we’re making this change to encourage passengers to buy before they travel through our great range of flexible retail channels and reduce the delays caused through ticket sales.
Even with these changes our on-board prices remain some of the lowest in the country and passengers buying before they travel will enjoy even greater value still for most of our tickets.”
Holders of the TravelMaster 18-21 Discount Card will receive a discount of 15% against off-vehicle prices. This will see the level of discount for tickets, compared to purchasing a ticket full price on board, increase for these Young People. TravelMaster is also introducing annual versions of all tickets that can be bought online and loaded to a smartcard at home instantly.
*Post-Office availability will be introduced shortly after the 2nd January date.
TravelMaster Prices from 2nd January 2020
|Off-Vehicle Pricing from Jan 2 2020|
|18-21 Pricing from Jan 2 2020|
|On-Board Pricing from Jan 2 2020|